Blogging as a career is booming and finance blogging is no exception. In fact, personal finance blogs are one of the most rewarding categories in the blogging industry.
In the beginning, you might feel intimated by the idea of starting your blog from the scratch but don’t worry.
This guide is fully meant to guide you to become a successful Finance Blogger.
Here in this content, we are going to run you through various topics like:
- What is a Finance Blog?
- Steps to starting your Finance Blog
- How to monetize your Finance blogs
Are you ready? Let’s begin!
WHAT IS A FINANCE BLOG?
Finance blogs guide readers on various money-related subjects like banks, saving strategies, Fixed deposits, EMI, Taxation, Credit cards, and many more.
The main aim of finance bloggers is to help people achieve financial freedom for a better and secure life.
Finance Bloggers make thousands of Dollars through Affiliate marketing and other profitable strategies that we will discuss at the end of this blog.
Till then, here is a list of top successful Finance Blogs to help you understand better:
1. 1500 Days to Freedom
1500 Days To Freedom is a finance blog that aims to educate its readers about smart ways of investing for a more fulfilling existence. What’s unique is, that this blog also focuses on learning and getting inspired by its readers by giving them a chance to guest post.
2. Broke Millennial
Broke Millennial helps millennials get their financial life together. It offers various books, presentations, worksheets, and courses to educate its readers. The author does not believe in preaching and finger-wagging rather she aims to give practical advice to solve various financial queries.
3. Budget And Sexy
Budget and Sexy believes in BUDGET= CONFIDENCE= SEXY ideology. The blog discusses everything from budgeting to savings, early retirement, a millionaire club, and learning to hustle. The authors also have various podcasts to educate and inspire their readers.
4. Bible Money Matters
Bible Money Matters talks about money making, saving money, and banking. 10 weird and unconventional ways to earn money is amongst the most loved blogs amongst its readers. The bloggers also have a Youtube channel with nearly 5000 subscribers.
5. Cash Money Life
Cash Money Life is a finance blog about various money-related subjects like banking, credit cards, insurance, investing, loans, and money making. The main aim of the blogger is to make his readers achieve financial freedom for a better life.
Let us give you some statistics to warm you up.
Personal Finance Statistics (Editor’s Choice)
- The lack of financial literacy cost Americans $415 billion in 2020.
- The average credit card debt in America is $6,270.
- Around 40% of Americans have less than $300 in savings.
- Only 30% of Americans have a long-term financial plan.
- The average US household’s median income was $78,500 in 2020.
- A staggering 63% of Americans had their personal finances affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Some 44% of Americans expect their finances to improve in the future.
Our earnings seem to be covering less and less these days. Meanwhile, the cost of living seems to be getting higher. This is why it is important to promote financial literacy amongst people and what better than Finance Blogs to do so?
So gear up, let us jump to a step-by-step guide to kick-start your finance blog in 8 steps
HOW TO START A FINANCE BLOG? (8 EASY TIPS)
1. PICK A FINANCIAL NICHE
The first step to starting your finance blog is picking a finance niche and your blog audience. This step requires a lot of research, preparation, and planning.
It is quite impossible to master the art of blogging without picking a specific niche.
The more specific your niche is, the more the chances of becoming successful.
Moreover, writing blogs about a specific niche allows you to project yourself as an industry expert and hence has more chances of making good revenues.
While picking a blogging niche ask the following questions:
- What type of financial domains are you interested in?
- Do you have enough subject knowledge to talk about it in your entire blog?
- Does it have room for modification in the future?
- Would you like to target pro-level Investors or beginners?
- What value will your blogs provide? What are your long-term goals?
Remember to pick a niche wisely since switching niches later will mean changing your entire marketing strategy.
LIST OF FINANCE NICHES
- Money Saving Strategies
- Fixed Deposits
- Mutual Funds
- Financial Freedom
- Credit Cards
- Family Planning
- Startup Ideas
- Getting Out Of Debt
- Wealth Management
- Capital Management
- Passive Income
- Home Finance
- Business Finance
- Make Money Online
- Trading and many more
There are a few more factors you should keep in mind while picking a niche:
- Tracking down your competition, monitor their trending posts, rewards, engagement, content planning, quality of the blogs, and various other topics to educate yourself about the market.
- Make sure you are passionate about the niche you choose since passion will take you far.
- Do some research before diving into it fully
- Keep your target audience in mind since you need to give your readers what they want to read for them to like your content.
- Monetization opportunities for the future as every blogger wants to be successful in the end.
2 WORK ON THE TECHNICAL SETUP
A blogging platform is a CMS or a platform that helps you in writing, editing, modifying, deleting, and launching blogs.
Whereas hosting helps you to put your website content on the web for your readers to discover it.
Blogging Platforms are either self-hosted that come with hosting included, for example, includes WordPress.org, or hosted-open source blogging platforms like Wordpress.com in which you need to buy a hosting separately.
While choosing a blogging platform for your website you need to keep a few things in mind:
- Some platforms are easy to monetize while others are not hence you need to check for their monetization scope.
- If you are not a techie then pick a platform that has an easy-to-use interface.
- Check for all the customizations provided by the platform and see if they are meeting your needs.
- Go with blogging platforms that are more visually oriented if your focus is more on videos or pictures rather than text and vice versa.
- 24-hour support should be given to resolve your queries.
- Look for the SEO plugin or features provided by the blogging platform. For you to rank your blogs on Google, choosing a platform that supports SEO features is important. For example, the Yoast plugin in WordPress is used to work on blog SEO and readability.
BEST BLOGGING PLATFORMS AVAILABLE ONLINE
While choosing a hosting check for these things:
- Speed, Uptime, and Downtime
- 24-Hour support
- Backup Facility
- Price Comparison
- Reviews and Rating
- Refund Policy
- Terms and Conditions
We recommend you go with a self-hosted blogging platform like WordPress.org to kick-start your blogging journey as it is easy to monetize and gives you 100% control over your website content.
In fact, WordPress is the most popular blogging platform amongst bloggers. Don’t believe us? Click to check it yourself.
3 NAME YOUR WEBSITE
Next up is picking the right domain name for your blogging website. A domain name represents the face of your brand. It is through your domain name that people will reach your website.
A good domain name is when people can make out what your blog is all about right after reading it.
You need to take out time and research while picking up a domain name for your website.
Fortunately, to help you with the process here is a list of a few characteristics of a great domain name:
- Simple yet catchy
- Most likely has a .com extension
- Not lengthy
- Not Complex
- Clear in representing your brand values
- Easy to Understand
- Not used by another brand
- Contains keywords
- Well researched
- Does not have numbers or special characters like- ’-’, ‘^”, etc
- Easy to pronounce
- Has room for modification in future
Act fast! Buy a domain name before it gets sold out. If you have a domain name in mind already, click to check its availability.
4. SELECT A THEME AND DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE
To make your website look professional you need to pick a great theme. Design is a very crucial aspect of building a blogging website. In fact, the design of a website directly affects the user experience. A poorly designed site is less likely to get visitors to complete an action, such as buying a product or joining a mailing list.
In fact, if the page loads slowly or is difficult to navigate, 95% of visitors will leave within seconds.
Therefore, for you to attract visitors and make it a big hit you need to pick an attractive theme for your website.
While there are a lot of paid as well as free themes available online we recommend you use the paid ones since they look more professional and come up with better customization options.
You must be wondering- “How to choose a perfect theme for your website?”
Do not worry. We got you covered! Here is a list of a few functionalities to check while picking a theme.
You need to pick a theme that loads faster. Since not only users like it but it is one of the many factors used by Google to rank your website.
Choose a design that is industry appropriate. For example, a theme that has flashy pictures might work for a gaming website but not for some funeral homes. See what works best for your niche.
Plugins help you pack your website with extra features. There will be various essential plugins that you would want to use. For example, ones that add sharing icons, facilitate blog SEO, and many more. While do not overdo the plugins making your website bulky but do not lose out on essential ones as well.
How many pictures can you add per blog? Can you change the typeface? Does it come with sharing buttons? Check for all the customizations provided by the theme and see if these match your brand requirements.
Go with secure themes which are updated frequently to fix bugs.
The theme needs to be responsive to different browsers and devices.
24-hour customer support for fixing issues is a must.
Fortunately, there are multiple themes for Finance Blogs available on the internet for you to choose from.
5. MAKE YOUR BRAND STAND OUT
Do you want to stand out from the rest of the thousand finance blogs present on the internet?
If yes, then the simple way is by spending more time and energy on branding.
You need to work on certain aspects to make your brand unique. These include:
Attention spans are getting shorter with time hence making it essential for you to give your audience something that can grab their attention within seconds. This is where a good logo comes into play. A solid logo quickly hooks your visitors and conveys your brand value.
Since a brand logo is the brand identity you need to design/choose a memorable logo, that separates you from your competition, is relevant, and is eye-catchy.
You can create your logo using various online tools or hire a professional.
All successful brands have a Unique Selling Factor that makes them successful and unique. USP can either be your posting style, products or services, videos, hand-drawn images, or anything! Spend some time finding your winning qualities.
Different font faces represent different brand values. In fact, typography is an essential part of a brand’s identity. You need to pick a font face that is memorable, unique, legible, communicates your brand’s identity, and is supported by different browsers. Do you need some help? Click here.
As per the color theory, different colors are used for different brand psychology. For example, blue represents trust while red color represents excitement. Create a color palette that represents your brand values.
Keep these things in mind to make your website stand out.
6. CRAFT YOUR CONTENT
Content will define your website and help you make an impact on readers. Now, it is on you to decide I you want to make it memorable or just regular.
For crafting memorable content keep these things in mind:
Evergreen articles, as the name suggests are the blogs that are there to last. That is, these blogs have a longer shelf-life and attract visitors to your website. For finance blogs, these can be articles on the basics of wealth management. Many things change in the finance industry but basics rarely do. Such blogs attract customers year after year.
Videos are an effective way to attract visitors to your website. In fact, 94% of marketers say video has helped them increase their understanding of products or services.
While you may think creating videos is an expensive process, you can create high-quality content easily through your smartphone. So, don’t wait! Create a Youtube account and start adding your YouTube videos to your blogs. This will not only help you earn money through youtube but also attract visitors to your page.
NECESSARY LEGAL PAGES
NEW TYPE ARTICLES
New-type articles focus on new topics to gain user attention. These include news articles, new happenings, or current events. One advantage to incorporating these is it increases the search volume by a considerable amount but the downside is that these articles are for the short term, unlike the evergreen articles.
Write content that is easy to understand. Therefore, work on its readability, use language, more transition words, active voice, short sentences, and paragraphs with a maximum of 5-6 lines each.
MIX AND MATCH
There is no rule to pick a content strategy. It is best to mix and match different content strategies to get desired results. Different audiences like to read different types of content hence by mixing things up you can reach more audiences.
7. PROMOTE YOUR BLOGS
Promotion is a lucrative way to boost your Brand Awareness and attract visitors to your website.
Here is a list of ways to promote your blogs efficiently:
- Selling Digital Products (e-books, magazines, or Online Courses)
- Selling Physical Products ( T-shirts, Mugs, etc)
- Friends and Family Groups
- Writing Guest Posts
- Building Relationship With Customers ( Reply to all the comments, ask them for suggestions, share other’s content on your social media, etc)
- Freelance Writing
- Interviewing Famous People
- Answering Questions On Online Forums ( Answer questions on Quora or other online forums and drop your website link at the end)
- Social Media Groups
- Adding Sharing Icons in All Your Blogs ( Sharing icons of different sizes and features like click-to-tweet)
- On-page and off-page SEO tactics
- Social Media
- Influencer Outreach (Collaborating With Influencers)
- Customer Reviews
- Link Building (Focus on quality links from well-reputed websites)
- Online Advertising
- Newsletters or Emailers
- Public Speaking
- Interviewing Popular Gamers
Experiment with the different promotional methods and see what works best for you.
8 MAKE MONEY
Game Blogging lets you earn big bucks through various means like:
- Paid Newsletter
- Conducting Online and offline workshops
- Organizing Campaigns for other brands
- Affiliate Marketing (Put Affiliate links to promote other brand’s products and get paid when someone strikes a buy)
- Advertisements (Google AdSense is the most popular method )
- Sponsored Posts
- Digital or Physical Products like books, ebooks, Tees, etc
- Paid Reviews
- Launching Subscriptions (keep exclusive content only for your subscribers)
- Youtube Channel
- Writing paid reviews for other brands.
- Freelance Writing
Would you like a separate blog on way to earn money through finance blogging?
Let us know in the comment section.
Starting a finance blog is a great option to convert your passion into revenue. In this blog, we have curated 8 easy steps to start your blogging journey efficiently. Let us summarize this for you:
- CHOOSE NICHE AND BLOG AUDIENCE: There are lots of finance blog niches available online. You need to pick one that matches your goals.
- SELECT BLOGGING PLATFORM AND HOSTING: Choose a suitable blogging platform and hosting for your website to kick-start the technical setup.
- PICK A DOMAIN NAME: A domain name is the identity of your brand that needs to be chosen carefully.
- DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE: Choose a theme to take your website to the next level.
- BUILD YOUR BRAND PRESENCE: Work on various branding aspects like the logo, color scheme, font style, USP, and other elements.
- PLAN YOUR CONTENT: Prepare the content for your web pages and articles. Remember “Content is the king”.
- PROMOTE IT: Promotion is necessary for the world to know about your blogs.
- MAKE MONEY: Make your blogs earn money for you.
Was this article helpful? Let us know if you have any suggestions for us. Also, we would be happy to know some topics for your next read. Stay tuned for more content. See you!