Are you an educator who wants to explore more revenue options? Are you passionate about educating others? Do you want to write about education and make a difference?
If yes, then why don’t you consider starting an education blog? If you don’t know what it is or how to start one. Do not worry! We are here to help you.
This guide is fully meant to guide you to become a successful Education Blogger.
Here in this content, we are going to run you through various topics like:
- What is an Education Blog?
- Steps to starting your Education Blog
- How to monetize your Education blogs
Are you ready? Let’s begin!
WHAT IS AN EDUCATION BLOG?
Education blogs can be anything from online tutorials to educational news, job openings, online courses, and many more. The aim is to spread education/ educational awareness to as many people as possible.
Education is directly related to the prosperity of any country which clearly tells us ‘Education’ as a niche is undying and promising at the same time. Statistically, The global educational services market size is expected to grow from $2882.52 billion in 2021 to $3191.79 billion in 2022 at a compound annual growth rate of 10.7%.
Educational Bloggers earn big money if they follow the correct path to success. Before we walk you through this path, here is a list of top successful Educational Blogs to inspire you.
1. INSIDE HIGHER ED
As the name suggests Inside Higher Ed is a blog totally dedicated to providing analysis, solutions, and the latest news for the higher education community. The aim of creators is to serve as many higher education individuals, institutions, corporations, and non-profits as possible.
2. THE LEARNING NETWORK
The Learning Network is an education blog under the New York Times. The main target of the blogs is teachers, parents, and students who are looking for teaching materials. They have a pool of lesson plans, writing prompts, contests, quizzes, etc for anybody older than 3 years.
Some interesting articles include Teaching About the Battle Over What Students Should Learn, and What Students Are Saying About the Growing Fight Over What Young People Can Read
Edutopia promotes K-12 education to all students enabling them to acquire the necessary skills to thrive in their studies, career, and adult life. This blog is created by George Lucas who is an award-winning filmmaker. The blog has a collection of Integrated study materials, assessments, Social and Emotional Learning resources, and many other informational things.
Some interesting articles include Having Students Learn by Teaching, and 4 Steps To Build Schoolwide Capacity Science of Learning.
4. CLASSROOM 2.0
Classroom 2.0 is a blog specially meant for anybody interested in Web 2.0, Social Media, and other Participative Activities in the classroom.
With over 85,000 members from 200 countries, this blog site encourages its visitors to participate in great discussions and connect with each other. The blog’s ” Learning Revolution” section with over 19000 members focuses on the future of teaching and learning for schools, students, parents, teachers, librarians, and others.
5. TEACHER TUBE
Teacher Tube is an educational video resource for college, high school, middle school, and elementary school. Science, Math, History, Social Studies, Language Arts, kids educational songs, and many more interesting subjects can be found on this website. They have a set of audio, videos, and photos to help readers with their curriculum.
Now, that you have an idea about various education blogs available on the internet. We will walk through a step-by-step guide to starting your own.
HOW TO START AN EDUCATION BLOG? (8 EASY TIPS)
1. PICK AN EDUCATION NICHE
The first step to starting your education blog is choosing an education niche and a blog audience. This will require a lot of research, preparation, and planning.
It is impossible to start a successful blog without having a clear focus. In fact, the more specific your niche is, the more the chances of success.
Additionally, writing blogs about a specific niche allows you to project yourself as a master at your work, attracts a serious audience, and better the chances of earning good revenues.
While picking a blog niche, you need to ask the following questions to yourself:
- What type of Educational topics interests me?
- What level of experience do I have in the particular niche?
- Can I modify the niche in the future without changing my target audience?
- What is your main goal?
- Is it something people are looking for?
You can switch niches later, however, it will demand a lot of effort and will create a lot of confusion amongst your audience.
To help you choose a niche and kick-start your blogging career, we have created a list of education niches to choose from.
LIST OF EDUCATION NICHES
- Presentation Hacks
- Online Learning
- Adult Learning
- Virtual Degree Programs
- Distance Learning
- Studying Hacks
- Graduation Courses
- Music Education
- Math, Geometry, Calculus, and Statistics
- English Literature
- Language Lessons
- Student Saving Tips
- School Activities
- Class Management
- New Job Openings
- Government Job Openings
- Student lifestyle
- Study Guides
- Tests and Quizzes
- Vacation Jobs
- Revision Resource
- Essay Writing and many more
Before you lock your niche, we have the last few tips for you to keep in mind:
- Analyze your competition. This simply means you need to monitor your competitors closely. Check their trending posts, posting frequency, rewards, engagement, content planning, quality of the blogs, and various other topics to know about the market.
- Don’t dive in without doing proper research.
- The idea is to give what your readers want. Therefore, you need to ensure that your niche meets the needs of your target audience.
- Check for all the Monetization opportunities available.
- Pick a niche you are driven about since you do not want to get bored and quit in the long run.
- See if it is trending amongst your target audience. Trending niches are most likely to give better results.
Have you chosen a niche? Congratulations! You have completed the first milestone.
2 PICK A BLOGGING PLATFORM AND HOSTING
A blogging platform helps you write, edit, modify, delete, and post your blogs. Whereas hosting helps you to put your website content on the web for your readers to discover it.
Blogging Platforms of two kinds- self-hosted with hosting included like WordPress.org or hosted-open source blogging platforms like Wordpress.com that includes hosting with all the other features.
While choosing a blogging platform for your website you need to keep a few things in mind:
- Content Editor: You can make a list of features that you want in your editor and pick a platform with an editor that fulfills your needs. Since you will be spending most of your time on the content editor, you need to pick one that fits your requirements.
- Customizations: Choose a platform that comes with an extensive customization library.
- Support: Dedicated customer support to answer any queries you have is a must.
- Plugins: You will have to add various plugins to pack your website with additional features, so make a list of the ones you need, and check for their availability.
THE BEST BLOGGING PLATFORMS AVAILABLE ONLINE
Another task is to choose a suitable hosting. Here is a list of things you need to check before finalizing a hosting:
- Speed – The greater, the better
- 24-Hour support- this is A MUST to help you with any problems you face
- Storage– opt for a little extra than you require just to be on a safer side
- Security– an attack can cause your website to lose all or some data making it important for you to choose a secure solution
- Backup Facility– is a must in case of any deletion or mishap
- Price – choose a solution that fits best your needs and is a lesser price.
- Reviews and Rating– the greater, the better
We recommend you go with a self-hosted blogging platform like WordPress.org as they are more secure and come with an extensive plugin library.
3 NAME YOUR WEBSITE
Just as when a baby is born, you research and choose a name for him/her. Similarly, you need to pick a name for your blogging site before launching it. A unique domain name helps you stand out and attract visitors.
To help you choose the right domain name for your website, here is a list of things you need to keep in mind.
CHARACTERISTICS OF AN IDEAL DOMAIN NAME
- Easy To Spell
- Does not /have Hyphens and Numbers
- Uses the Right Extension ( .net, .org,.com, etc)
- Easy to Speak
- Represents The Brand
- Copyright Free
- Contains Keywords
Before you finalize a domain name for your brand, you will have to check for its availability online. Is it available? Congratulations! If not you can use various naming tools to help you with your selection.
4. SELECT A THEME AND DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE
A great user experience is indeed determined by a great website theme. This is why you need to be very careful while selecting a theme for your blogs. To help you with this we have a list of tips for you to narrow down your theme selection process and find your best fit.
IMPORTANT CHECKLIST TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT THEME
RESPONSIVE AND LOOKS GREAT ON DIFFERENT DEVICES AND BROWSERS
Do you know? More than 50% of users use their mobile phones while browsing. This makes it very important for you to pick a mobile-friendly theme. You must preview your theme in all the screen sizes to ensure it is working well.
KEEP COLORS IN MIND
Different colors can have a different impact on your readers, it can make or break your branding. This is why we suggest you keep the color scheme in mind before finalizing your website theme.
While free themes can be great but choosing a paid theme is always better. This is because paid themes are more secure, have a large set of plugins and customizations, look more professional, and are backed up with great customer support.
If you are using WordPress then you must install a theme check plugin and test if your theme meets all the WordPress standards.
EFFICIENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT
As there can be so many issues you might face while working with a theme, you have to ensure you get efficient customer support to help you.
LIGHTWEIGHT AND NOT BLOATED
While working with a theme you need to make sure it is not cluttered with too many features. This will bulk your theme and affect your site performance. Go for themes that are simple and sufficient.
5. DESIGN YOUR UNIQUE BRAND ELEMENTS
There are thousands of Education blogs available on the web. So, now the question is- “How can you stand out from these?”
The simple answer is- Strong Branding.
Branding helps you give your brand a unique identity and hence differentiates your brand amongst your competitors giving you a competitive edge in the marketplace. Additionally, strong branding helps you gain the trust of your readers making it easy for you to launch and test new products/services.
TIPS FOR AN EFFECTIVE BRANDING
USE A UNIQUE BRAND LOGO
For any brand or business, a unique logo is of utmost importance while branding. Why? Because it helps you create your own identity, grabs user attention, makes the first impression, communicates your brand values, and fosters your brand loyalty.
If you do not know design. You can hire a professional graphic designer to help your vision come to life. We suggest you pay extra attention to this step since a logo will represent the face of your brand.
There are so many blog sites that use varied designs for different pages. This makes their websites look very confusing and hinders the user experience. Your users should know when they are on your website and when not. For this, you must use a consistent design theme across all the web pages and make it look cohesive.
To give your users a consistently seamless experience you need to find your writing style and STICK TO IT. This makes people relate to your blogs on a deeper level and appreciate you.
Also, How often will you post? Weekly, daily, monthly? Figure this frequency and follow it like a Bible. Your readers should know when to expect a post from you.
Lastly, do not go off your niche and post something that is not related to your previous posts. This will create confusion among your blog audience hampering their user experience.
As there are a lot of blogs on education available on the web, if somebody lands on your page, he definitely is expecting to read something ‘different’. Do not mix with the blogs already available, discover something unique that can set you apart. Figure out your strengths or USPS and focus on them.
Always Remember: UNIQUE = MEMORABLE= WORTHY
6. PREPARE YOUR CONTENT
When you create blogs it gives you the independence of expressing your thoughts, highlighting your expertise, and building a community of readers that will appreciate your work. However, it is not as easy as it sounds, composing a winning entry takes a lot of effort. Hence, we have a few tips for you to plan your content effectively.
TIPS TO PLAN YOUR CONTENT
When you are writing any kind of blog, your main goal is to write something that the audience appreciates. This makes it very important for you to research the topics that your audience is willing to read. How? You can use various keyword research tools like Semrush or online forums like Quora or Reddit. This will give you a fair idea about what is trending and what is not. Moreover, you can draw some inspiration from your competitors as well. Prepare a list of topics for at least a month before you start posting your blogs.
AN IRRESISTIBLE HEADLINE
To enable readers to find your blogs and read them you need to write catchy headlines. Always choose a headline that tells your readers what to expect in the post and not misguide them. Also, you can write a headline that triggers an emotion in the reader, for example, “Suicide of a Hacker”, “You will never get a job, if you do this”, etc.
CHOOSE EVERGREEN TOPICS
Unlike trendy topics, evergreen topics are those which never age with time. They somehow manage to attract readers irrespective of the time posted. For example, Basic rules of teaching, qualities of a good teacher, etc. Everything can change but the basics rarely do. We recommend you mix and match trending topics with timeless ones to generate the desired results
ADD RELEVANT MEDIA
If you only write texts, your blog will become boring and result in people bouncing off. To prevent this you need to add engaging videos, good-quality pictures, podcasts, and content ( sometimes) wherever needed. The goal is to keep your audience staying for as long as possible.
DO NOT FORGET THE LEGAL PAGES
While drafting your web pages do not forget to work on your legal pages including terms and conditions, cookies, privacy, and policy.
ABOUT US PAGE
There are so many blogs with an amazing home page but devoid of an About Us Page. Even if they have, this page is not up to the mark! You need to take care of this. If any visitor has managed to come to your About Us page, he is most likely interested in our brand and wants to know more. This is exactly where you need to grab his attention and convert him. Write a clear About Us Page with fewer texts, put CTAs, and add your image if possible. This will help your readers relate more.
7. PROMOTE YOUR BLOGS
Without promotion all your efforts are futile. Yes! To attract people to your blogs it is important to promote the.
To help you with this we have listed a few ways to promote your brands.
DIFFERENT STRATEGIES FOR PROMOTION
- Create your account on various social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Twitter, etc, and post regularly.
- · Sell digital products like e-books, magazines, online courses, etc to open up various revenue resources and promote your site consecutively
- You can also sell physical products like mugs, T-shirts, shirts, etc with your branding
- Share your blogs on friends and family groups and ask them to further share them with their contacts
- Do Guest blogging for similar brands and ask for a shoutout.
- Connect with your blog audience through emails, comments, and social media to strengthen your bond. Keep this in mind- The more you are loved, the better it is.
- Take up Freelance writing projects to earn a fixed revenue
- As famous people have a huge fan following, conducting interviews with them is a great idea to divert their audience onto your site
- Use online forums like Quora to answer different queries and link down your website at the end. If readers appreciate your answer they will possibly visit your website increasing your site traffic
- Use various Social Media groups that match your niche since they have the right kind of audience already that you are looking for
- Add sharing icons in all your blogs to help people share the content easily
- Use On-page and off-page SEO tactics to optimize your content as per Google
Different methods will be effective for different brands. So we recommend you experiment with these and see what works best for you.
8 MAKE MONEY
You can start earning revenues after you have promoted your blogs well. How? There are ways to monetize your blogs, some of which are:
- Paid Newsletter
- Offering Paid Educational Courses
- Conducting Online and offline workshops
- Affiliate Marketing
- Advertisements (Google Adsense is the most popular platform to do so)
- Sponsored Posts
- As mentioned above Digital or Physical Products like books, ebooks, Tees, etc are also some great opportunities to earn money
- Paid Reviews
- Do not offer everything for free, launch subscriptions and keep some of your exclusive content only for your paid subscribers
- Start your Youtube channel
Would you like a separate blog on way to earn money through Education blogging? Let us know in the comment section.
Starting an education blog if you are passionate about education is a great way to earn money while following your heart. This requires days, months, or even years of consistent handwork to achieve success. To make this easy for you we have discussed 8 simple steps to becoming an Edu-blogger. Let us quickly summarize them here for you:
1. PICK A TECHNOLOGY NICHE
There are lots of technology blog niches available online. So, you need to pick one that matches your vision.
2. WORK ON SOME TECHNICALITIES
Choose a suitable blogging platform and hosting for your website to design, manage and put your blogging site on the web.
3. PICK A DOMAIN NAME.
Just like your name is your unique identity, you need to choose a domain name for your website that will help the audience identify your brand.
4. DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE
The next step is to choose a theme for your blog site to make it look attractive
5. HIGHLIGHT YOUR BRAND
Work on various branding aspects like the logo, color palette, typography, winning qualities, and other elements.
6. PLAN YOUR CONTENT
Content is the essence of your website and hence needs to be worked on carefully
7. PROMOTE IT
For people to know about the amazing work that you have done, it is important to promote your blogs.
8. EARN MONEY
The last step is to make money through your blogs.
Was this article helpful? Let us know if you have any suggestions for us. Also, we would also be happy to know some topics for your next read. As we upload new content daily, stay tuned for some more exciting content. See you !